Thursday, September 24, 2009

World Guinness Day !


Today Guinness will be 250 years old, it's a milestone and I guess I won't be around for their 300 year celebration!

1759


It begins with a signature.

Arthur Guinness signs a 9,000-year lease on a disused brewery at St. James’s Gate, Dublin. It costs him an initial £100 with an annual rent of £45 – this crucially includes water rights. The brewery covers four acres and consists of a copper, a kieve, a mill, two malthouses, stabling for 12 horses and a loft to hold 200 tons of hay. Arthur begins brewing porter and ale.

Last year was my first visit to the Guinness brewery when my sister came to visit, here are some of my own Guinness photos.
 

By the way there was a petition on Facebook to declare today a public holiday, but seems only South Africa got it right, but they called it Braai Day - so hope everyone is enjoying their braai's and having a Guinness or two as well.

No comments: