Saturday, June 13, 2009

In Dublin's Fair City ...

I guess I have been really luck, things just seem to have a way of working themselves out. I finished work at the end of June last year, just before I did there was a company looking at buying an HR system and they came to the company I was working for so I could give them a demo.

I told the guy I was leaving and gave him my number. So as luck would have it, while I was on holiday in Croatia he phoned me and asked me if I was interested in coming to work for them. The contract was only supposed to be for 3 months, but I have been there on and off now for almost a year.
The best thing about the company is they are multi national, so no favouritism or nepotism that you find in a lot of Irish owned companies. I sit in my office and hear different accents every day, our ex Country manager who is still on our floor is from Belgium, and he has this wonderful Flemish accent. Yesterday there were a whole lot of French guys on the floor, the day before the guys from Holland where there. I must say the dutch accent makes me a bit sad because when I hear them speaking it reminds me of my mom's family, who have mostly all passed away now. But the accent is so similar.

A lot of my mom's family would speak what they called "High Dutch" and the NG Kerk and their bible were all in Dutch. Anyway I am getting away from the point of this post.
So, I have two weeks left at this company and it has been absolutely wonderful working there, their offices are based at Spencer dock, now back in 2001 when we arrived in Dublin, the dock areas were full of old dingy warehouses and it was dark and dangerous. Since then it has been revived, most of the old warehouses have been knocked down to make way for new office blocks and apartments.
The Liffy runs right past my work and yesterday there were people yachting. I am sure going to miss working there, but I have a funny feeling I will be back in that area.

No comments: