Thursday, May 2, 2013

Cellphones and Cyclists

I have two pet hates when I am driving the first one being people talking on their Cell phones / Mobiles whilst driving and the second .... no not cyclist particularly but cyclist who do not obey the rules of the road.  I don't know how many times I have had to avoid knocking a cyclist down, because they weren't obeying the rules of the road.

Firstly I get really p*ssed off that I have to pay an exorbitant amount of road tax, and the roads are in such bad condition and the cyclist who have perfect cycle lanes on most main roads don't have to pay a cent, and to top it all they get a tax break for cycling to work, so the tax payer pays for 52% of their bicycle, provided they are on the higher tax bracket and they get away with only paying 48%.

The Garda (That is the police in Ireland) even have a neon sign going down Leeson street that reads: "GARDA WARNING:  CYCLISTS RED MEANS STOP, DON'T RISK IT!" but do they listen NO!  Going down Bagott street the other day I almost knocked a cyclist off his bike because he drove straight through a red, and then turned around and started swearing at me, so after he drove off, I drove up behind him and gave him a loud blast on my hooter and drove off - he got such a fright, and it gave me such pleasure!

They also have their designated cycle lanes but insist on overtaking other cyclists, which is fine - if they first look behind them for on coming cars, but they don't, they just pull out thinking they are invincible - and if I had to knock one down it would be my fault.  I firstly think cyclist should get a license to say they know the rules of the road and secondly they should contribute towards the road system too!

I rambled on about the cyclist that I forgot to mention the cell phone users, well we have all seen them, those
that talk and those that text and in fact I am starting to hate cell phones, I mean we lived without them for so long and now, everywhere you go someone is talking on their phone, and I am sorry you can not concentrate on 2 things at the same time.  Cell phone drivers are worse than drunk drivers, at least drunk drivers are trying to concentrate on the road only!   Lock them up I say, and then confiscate their phones and ban them from using a cell phone for a year, you can give them an implant in their ears that gives them an electric shock if they talk into a cell phone, that should cure them!!!!


Okay that was my rant for the day!  

No comments: