Monday, March 22, 2010

K.K.K.K.Kisssssssssssssssss

Are you old enough to remember the C.B. days as in Citizen Band radio, 10-4 Good Buddy, okay so I am giving away my age, I was in high school when the CB Radio was all the rage, my eldest sister who was working at the time, very kindly helped me to buy a CB Radio and get and aerial up, or wait that was some guy I met on the CB radio who came and put up an aerial for me because he developed this huge crush and wanted to talk to me 31, that's 24/7... and later stalked me for a while.

Yes, I think I was 15 or 16 when I first got the CB radio and all my girlfriends had one too, the first thing was finding a "Handle" (something you call yourself not your real name), I have no idea how it came about but I was given the handle "KISS", my other friend was "Golden Earring" and the one who named us called herself "Twinkle Toes".
The CB radio proved very interesting and we met some interesting characters through it as well, also a few boys I dated (hope hubby isn't reading this). We would arrange an "eyeball", which was a meeting to see if you liked the person, because more often than not you would be flirting with someone over the radio and when you met them in real life they would be aaaa yuck, the face for radio type person ... lol. One of my first boyfriends Michael I met over the CB, he lived in La Rochelle and was in the army at the time. Then there were the friends I met, Ivan and Andre both from the south - for the life of me I have no idea what their "handles" were, and Clifford was the guy who stalked me.

Once you bought your CB you had to go to the post office and get a license because if you were caught transmitting without a license of course there would be a heavy fine, and sometimes you were asked your license number over the airways, I still remember mine was ZRAM678 which would be called out as Zulu, Romeo, Alfa, Mike 678 - it was so cool learning all the new lingo.

Breaker, Breaker if you wanted to interrupt a conversation, then you would try and find a clear channel to talk to someone on, and if your aerial was strong enough late at night you could talk to people in different countries around the world. I think CB radio became very popular in South Africa after movies like "Smokey and the Bandit". It also died out very quickly, like most things did in South Africa at that time. Things would be a big hit and then suddenly they would be so un-cool and then it would be over and out!

Well the reason I started this post, is because hubby got tickets to go and see KISS and I said I would go with him, now our friend Lynn is coming over from the UK and going to see KISS with us ... which suddenly reminded me of my CB days. Hopefully the concert is good, because they are also getting along in now, but I will let you know how it goes.

Roger, Over and out, good buddy! Mwah!!!  (Who the hell is Roger?)

No comments: